Thursday, January 16, 2014

Introductions

There are seven Augsburg undergraduate physicists attending this conference and we would like to tell you a bit about ourselves.

Elianna Bier:

I am a senior physics and chemistry double major as well as the self-elected leader of the Augsburg Women in Physics. I want to obtain my Ph.D. in medical physics, have applied to several schools, and have a few graduate school visits planned for the upcoming months. I am also on the swim team at Augsburg and specialize in the 100 and 200 yd backstroke. Although I had an internship at Argonne National Laboratory in the summer of 2012, I am really excited to go back for a tour and learn more about the current research.

Emma Capman:

I am a senior physics major. Over the past few years I've worked in the space physics lab with Mark Engebretson and have presented posters at two conferences. This summer I went to the University of Maryland, College Park for an REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) in miniature robotics. I am considering graduate school and careers in mechanical engineering, materials science, and physics. I'm excited to learn more about careers at this conference. I am heavily involved in the theater department at Augsburg, working in the scene shop, as well as designing sets, lights, and sound for a couple productions.

Jillian Hommerding:

I'm a senior physics major. After graduation, I plan to work in the industry for 1 year before going to graduate school for mechanical engineering. My ultimate goal is to work in the automotive industry, preferably for Volkswagen in Wolfsburg, Germany.  I am excited for the opportunity to attend this conference. At this conference, I am looking forward to seeing presentations in space physics. 

Sadie Tetrick:

I am a sophomore physics and mathematics double major. I would like to continue in physics in my future by attending graduate school. I enjoy shopping and long walks on the beach. I also tutor mathematics at Augsburg College and volunteer at my local high school tutoring students. I am really excited to meet more professional women in physics and gain more knowledge about what I can do with a physics degree.

Kayla Washenberger:

I am a sophomore physics major with a possible double major in chemistry. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I hope this conference gives me some ideas. Recently, I have been working with Professor Murr on a project involving electromagnetic fields in and around cars. I enjoy playing with my ferrets and long walks on the beach with Sadie. I can't wait to learn more about jobs revolving around physics and all the women who are involved.

Sam Swanson:

I am a first year physics and finance double major. In the future I would like to attend graduate school and eventually find a job in industry. When I am not working on physics problems, I enjoy playing golf on the Augsburg golf team and snowmobiling. I also have a secret passion for moose of all things. I am excited to learn about different physics careers and hope the conference will introduce me to new paths I can follow as a physicist.

Krista Kingsley:

I am a first year physics and mathematics double major. I hope to attend graduate school at the University of Minnesota and eventually work for the government. I also aspire to one day obtain my pilot's licence so I can travel to Canada at my leisure. This conference will hopefully give me more ideas for what I could do with my physics degree and help me meet other women in the field.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an amazing group of Augsburg women. Wishing you the best for a fantastic conference!!

    ReplyDelete